Sunday, March 13, 2011

March 13


Why do you teach? Why do you teach what you teach? Personally, I have had a long and positive relationship with education. I have enjoyed school ever since I was in preschool, and only in college and graduate school has the number of good teachers diminished. I enjoy teaching, and I like being a positive presence for my students, whether they go into language or not. But I can recall meeting people in college who had terrible memories of school. Some felt they learned nothing, and some could remember a single person who made a change on their lives—a person who encouraged them to be themselves, or a person who encouraged them to apply to college. Others told me about the one teacher who assured the student that they would never amount to anything. For them, a good education was an act of defiance. It alarmed me that others could not think of a single person who made a positive impact on their education. It made me realize that people get into teaching for all sorts of reasons, often a combination of them. 

Would anyone care to share their reasons or motivations? Has it worked out as you thought it would?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laurel, It will be interesting to see what others believe. You made some sad reflections, & I have some bitter memories of the disaster some teachers made of school for my daughter. Luckily, she had some who were her allies, & kept her going in school enough to see that there was good there as well as bad. I started teaching because I loved children, & I wanted to teach them to love books, to read. I have continued teaching because I love children & want to teach them to love books, to read avidly with a quest for whatever it is they want to know. I also want to help them love learning, for life, not just for school. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a while ago and even though women were beginning to enter into "traditional" jobs men held, I would say I got a teaching degree because it was somewhat expected. I also did enter into special education because I wanted to assist children to become all they could be. I have held many types of jobs in and out of the classroom, so it turned out to be a wonderful career.

    ReplyDelete