Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14

It has been hard to write since the earthquake hit Japan. Everything I think of seems trivial. And the trivial things I want to write about seem even moreso.

It is hard to imagine days without food and water, being trapped, not knowing anything of family or friends, and having to find housing or a job out of nowhere.

At first, I was relieved to see the tidal waves from above, so it did not look as fearful as it might to me on a ground level. I thought I might have nightmares watching video footage of the wave as it approached. I did not realize that what was most frightening for me was seeing the imminent danger approaching and that people knew the tidal waves were coming but still were going to have trouble escaping. Watching the fires of houses burning next to many other houses, or knowing that the nuclear reactors would keep heating up--these are outcomes that will certainly happen, but it is simply a question of when. It has been very overwhelming to think about these things when I sit down to write something that will mean something to me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that it has been so hard, Laurel. It is such a terrible loss for so many, and difficult to know how to help from so far away except to send money. I hope that this might be a small support for you. Thank you for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard. I feel the same way not only in my writing but even as I think about my own life concerns and then I think, they are really nothing compared to the disaster that is still unfolding in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for bringing this thought to mind. I've been reflecting and words do not form. Emotion swells in my heart. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete